Sunbeam advertises its 1934 model range of 8 machines as meeting all
rider requirements from 250cc to
600cc. This includes the factory's first 250cc capacity machines. The
standard version has an OHV engine - but confusingly is called the
'Longstroke' (also referred to as the Model 14). The racing version is
called the 'Little 95' and is a 250cc OHV version of another new
introduction for 1934 - the Model 95.
The Model 95 and Little 95 are
described as two new models 're-designed for speed'. The 500cc Model 95 is a
replacement for the Model 90.
Otherwise, the 500cc and 600cc
side-valve machines continue in production, as does the OHV 350cc Model 8
and Model 9 in 500cc and 600cc versions.
Cycle parts appear generally unchanged from 1933. Robert Cordon Champ
refers to a factory photograph of the Model 9 for the 1933 catalogue found
with a handwritten note saying, 'use same block 1934 as 1933' which, he
says, sums up the changes!
There had been a change in the design
of the rear rack during 1933, with the new design standard for 1934.
Engine and gearbox
A new 4-speed Sunbeam gearbox was introduced with ratios suitable for
solo and side car work. Marstons write, 'the new gearbox with its ratios
carefully chosen for acceleration combines smoothness and silence with ease
A 3-speed gearbox was still available on the 250cc model and the 350cc
* John Marston Ltd., 1934 Sunbeam Motor Cycle Catalogue.
* Robert Cordon Champ, 1980, 'The Sunbeam Motorcycle'. Haynes Publishing.
* Robert Cordon Champ, 1989, 'The Illustrated History of Sunbeam Bicycles and
Motorcycles'. Haynes Publishing.
* Express & Star, 1995, 'Images of Wolverhampton'. Breedon Books