|In 1912 Harry Stevens designed a 349cc side-valve engine for
John Marston. Its single cylinder has a 75x79mm bore and
stroke. The engine powered the first Sunbeam production motor cycle,
designed by John Greenwood formerly of Rover and JAP. It has two-speed
transmission with all chain drive. The finish
included a green painted tank.
known surviving example, with a serial
number in the 200s, dates from 1913. It is now part of the Marston
Wolverhampton Heritage Trust collection.
Robert Cordon Champ includes a photograph in 'The Sunbeam Motorcycle'
(1980) of a Sunbeam with a green-painted tank from the photographic
collection at Shrugborough Hall Museum, Staffordshire. Its registration is E
1735. It is possibly the earliest Sunbeam motor cycle captured on camera,
factory photographs excluded.
* S J Mills, 1994, 'AJS of Wolverhampton'. Published by the Author.
* Robert Cordon Champ, 1980, 'The Sunbeam Motor Cycle'. Haynes Publishing.
* Wolverhampton Chronicle, 23 November 2006, 'Sleek Sunbeam is shining
example of craftsmanship'.